Houston Drug Crimes Attorney
Have you been charged with possession of marijuana or other illegal substances? Maybe you were arrested and charged with distribution of methamphetamine or cocaine? It is important to know that you may face significantly harsher penalties and charges because of the type and amount of drug in your possession. This can result in a long time behind bars if you do not act quickly. The government and Houston prosecutors are tough on drug crimes. They prosecute these crimes aggressively and often seek maximum sentencing. Because of this, you need an attorney on your side that understands how serious these charges truly are.
At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., our Houston drug possession & distribution defense lawyers have over 20+ years experience defending against drug crimes. We know that something as simple as where you were arrested can have the biggest impact on your sentencing if you are convicted. That is why we work aggressively for our clients from the start. We investigate all angles of your arrest and the charges against you. We can then build a solid case to defend against these charges and have them reduced or dismissed.
Drug Charges in Houston and Harris County, Texas
Since the U.S. government declared the war on drugs, the justice system has not been kind or favorable to individuals caught with drugs in their possession. Individuals charged with drug crimes often face a steep climb when trying to defend themselves against these charges. They may need to face lying informants, endure invalid search and arrest warrants or deal with false drug lab results.
If you have been arrested and charged with a drug crime in Houston or anywhere in Harris County, Texas, we can help. At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., our Houston drug crimes lawyers know how to help our clients beat drug charges. We know the complex laws that surround search and seizures, as well as the tactics prosecutors use to get a drug conviction. We have helped our clients defend against serious drug charges, including:
- Simple drug possession
- Possession with intent to sell
- Drug paraphernalia
- Drug manufacturing
- Drug trafficking & distribution
Many individuals face simple drug possession charges. Yet, these charges are anything but simple. In Houston, if you get convicted of drug possession, you could face significant time behind bars depending on the type of drug in your possession and the quantity of drugs. Even having prescription medications in your possession without a doctor’s prescription can result in potential jail time. If you’ve been arrested, you need a former Texas prosecutor who is now a Houston drug possession defense lawyer on YOUR side.
Factors that Affect Drug Charges
There are many factors that can affect your criminal charges and the penalties you face. Individuals carrying a small amount of marijuana will not face the same penalties as someone with large amounts of Cocaine in their possession. When determining the level of consequences you face, Texas law will take these factors into consideration:
- Type of drug. The type of drug in your possession is a big factor in the severity of your charges. Texas law separates controlled substances into four groups in order of punishment for possession. Possession of drugs in group one will result in significantly higher penalties than possession of drugs in group four.
- Group 1: Cocaine, Oxycodone, Opium, LSD, Heroine, Methamphetamine
- Group 2: Ecstasy, MDMA, PCP
- Group 3: Xanax, Ritalin, Valium, Anabolic Steroids
- Group 4: Morphine, Codeine
- Amount of drug. The amount of drugs in your possession matters greatly. The more drugs in your possession, the greater the penalties will be. The law outlines specific levels of each illegal substance. For example, if you are caught in possession of over 400 grams of cocaine, the punishment in Texas is between 10 years and life in prison.
- Aggravating circumstances. These circumstances can increase the level of punishment significantly. Some examples of aggravating circumstances include:
- Possession near a school or in a drug-free zone
- Intent to distribute
- Being in presence of a minor
- Past criminal offenses
As you can imagine, what might seem like a simple stop for possession of an illegal substance could quickly escalate into a federal crime. With a felony record, you may face a long and uphill battle when trying to secure housing, obtain employment, or even exercise your rights to own a firearm or vote.
In Texas, drug crimes are prosecuted in both the state and federal courts, depending on the severity of the charges. Our Houston drug crime defense lawyers have experience trying cases and defending clients in both courts and in some of the largest drug crime cases in the state.
Contact Our Houston Drug Crimes Defense Lawyers
At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., we know that the stakes are high in drug crime cases. We know that without the right legal defense, you could be facing a lifetime behind bars for your crimes.
That is why we fight these charges and work tirelessly to have these charges reduced or in many cases, even dismissed. Call at (713) 981-0600 or fill out our confidential contact form to begin fighting these serious charges. You can absolutely fight drug crime charges and win — but only with an attorney experienced in defending against drug charges on your side. Call today!