Houston Divorce Lawyer
The end of a marriage is a difficult and highly emotional time. After all, choosing to end a relationship is never easy. However, when you have children, assets, and property, it can become even more difficult to untangle your lives. During this time, you may not even know where to start or how you can protect your interests throughout the process. You may also have many questions running through your mind, including:
- How will I pay for a divorce?
- When will I see my kids?
- Who will get to live in the house?
- What happens to my retirement account?
When you are considering a divorce, it is important to speak to an experienced Houston divorce attorney. Your attorney can answer your questions and give you the confident support you need to move forward.
At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., our divorce attorneys have successfully represented divorcing couples in Houston and throughout Harris County for over 20 years. We know the divorce courts and judges that may preside over your case. This gives us a significant advantage and allows us to best represent our clients through the divorce process.
No matter how simple or how complex your divorce may be, you need a lawyer on your side to protect your rights and interests.
Getting a Divorce in Houston
If you wish to get divorced in Houston, you must meet certain requirements before you can file.
- You must live in Texas for at least six months before filing for divorce. In addition, you must have lived in Harris County for at least 90 days prior to filing. Both parties do not have to meet these requirements, but as long as either you or your spouse meet these residency requirements, you can file for divorce in Houston.
- Parenting Class. If you and your spouse have children, you may need to complete a Parent Education Program prior to filing for your divorce. There are many in the area to help you meet this requirement. If one party has not taken the required parenting class, a divorce judge may dismiss your case. Ask one of our attorneys if you need to take this class before you file.
- No Fault. Texas is a state that recognizes both fault and no-fault divorces. This means that you do not have to prove fault in order to get divorced. You can cite irreconcilable differences or that you have been living apart for at least three years. Fault grounds could include adultery, cruelty, and abandonment.
- Waiting Period. It is important to know that the court will not finalize the divorce for at least 60 days after the initial filing. This waiting period is a necessary part of the divorce process in Houston.
We Can Help Through All Types of Divorces
At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., we have success representing Houston residents through a variety of divorces, including:
- Contested divorce
- Uncontested divorce
- High net worth divorce
- LGBTQ+ divorce
- Military divorce
Our divorce attorneys will meet with you to discuss your future and your goals. We can walk you through the divorce process and protect your rights during all negotiations, mediations, and trials. We will offer you creative solutions to help resolve even the most complex divorce issues. Our team of experienced Houston divorce attorneys and paralegals can assist you through:
- Child support
- Child custody
- Alimony or spousal support
- Division of assets
We will make sure that you meet all requirements and deadlines when filing for divorce. In addition, we will work to make sure that all your assets are divided fairly. When dividing property, we can make sure all accounts, including retirement plans, stock options, and insurance payments are considered.
As you navigate through the divorce, you may want to move on with your life as quickly and as painlessly as possible. We understand this desire. At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., we pride ourselves on finding cost-effective solutions as quickly as possible. This enables us to tackle issues head-on before they become contentious. If your case does head to trial, you can rest assured knowing that you have experienced litigators in your corner who are ready to fight for you.
Contact Our Houston Divorce Attorneys
At Roger G. Jain & Associates, P.C., our divorce attorneys have helped countless Houston, Texas residents through the divorce process. We know that these are scary and difficult times. That is why we offer complete legal guidance from the very beginning. We want you to feel comfortable and supported while discussing support, custody, and the division of assets. We can help you move forward in life and into the future with ease.
To learn more, call us at (713) 981-0600 or fill out our confidential contact form. We are ready to sit down with you and discuss your goals and your needs. Our law firm is confident we can help you through divorce and into the future. Call us today!